I associate Verona primarily with the crowds of tourists, rush and fear of getting lost there. When in 2018 I was standing packed like sardines, pressed against the wall and I was watching tourists who wanted to get close to the figurine of Julia to paw her or to take a photo of the balcony, I asked myself – “What I’m actually doing here?”. I definitely didn’t notice the charm of this town. However, while browsing the photos from my trip, I found some interesting things. And one of them are the so-called Case Mazzanti.
| Well, at first glance, the frescoes do not make a great impression |
Case Mazzanti are located in Piazza delle Erbe, which is one of the famous and must-see tourist spots of Verona – by the afternoon there is a
market where you can buy local products or souvenirs. Case Mazzanti are quite nonhomogeneous
in form, built from the Middle Ages to the 16th century. They are one of the
oldests buildings in the town. What is extraordinary about them is that on the
walls there are preserved frescoes, which in the Middle Ages were often painted on
the homes of wealthy residents. Moreover, Verona in the 16th century was known
as urbi pista - the painted city - because
there were so many decorated houses. Apparently, it is best to observe the
frescoes in the evening when they are illumined, but I had no such possibility.
Although at first Case Mazzanti didn’t impress me, it was the photo of them
that made me want to visit Verona again and feel the atmosphere of this
supposedly romantic town and get to know it better.
Comments
Post a Comment